Wednesday 2 September 2015

Wenger: Man Utd's 'huge' Martial move sums up lack of quality in transfer market


The Arsenal manager believes the summer window was problematic for the top clubs who had little guarantee that a potential signing would make their squad stronger 



Arsene Wenger has questioned Manchester United’s decision to sign Anthony Martial and believes there was a lack of high-quality players available in the summer transfer market.



Martial became the world’s most expensive teenager after joining United from Monaco on deadline day in a deal that could eventually be worth up to €80 million (£59m).

The 19-year-old forward has made only 52 appearances in Ligue 1 since making his debut for Lyon in 2013 and the Arsenal manager, whose only major summer signing was Petr Cech, suggested United’s hand has been forced because of the limited options available.

“I’ve heard Martial scored 11 goals in the French championship - that sums it all up well,” Wenger told beIN Sports.

“That means it’s not the money that’s missing at the moment, it’s not the desire of investment that’s missing, it’s the number of players available who can strengthen the big clubs.

“So am I happy with the investment I make? Yes. Every time, I bought [Alexis] Sanchez, I bought [Mesut] Ozil, I bought Cech, I bought Gabriel last year, [Mathieu] Debuchy - when you find the players you invest the money.


“The problem at the moment is to find the players that guarantee that you are a better team after.

“Martial is a huge talent, he’s 19 years old, the investment is absolutely huge as well, that shows you that there’s not many players in the world who can strengthen these teams.”

Wenger has also accused Uefa of softening their Financial Fair Play rules this year and believes the regulations need to be made clearer.

“I’m disappointed... to change the verdict [of Financial Fair Play] during the transfer period I think was not right,” he said.

“I’m not against Manchester City or Paris Saint-Germain buying players but you would like rules to be known before the transfer period starts and the rules have been a bit accommodating during the transfer period.

“After that, if I ask you, or you ask me, ‘what is the real significance today of Financial Fair Play?’ I cannot give you the answer. I’m sure you will not be completely capable to do it as well.

“So Financial Fair Play today is too complicated to be efficient, and too complicated for everybody to understand, exactly, the rules, and that’s why there’s a need to simplify the whole process.”

When asked if clubs such as Arsenal were being penalised, he added: “No, not being penalised, but I think well-run clubs just should be a normality.

“Every club should use the resources it produces and what is at the end of the day, the size of the club, a big club, a small club - the big club should be the club with the biggest fanbase and that works the best in its decisions.” [GOAL]

No comments:

Post a Comment