Tuesday 25 August 2015

Van Gaal: Fellaini will play as a striker this season


The Manchester United manager has revealed that he expects the Belgian, usually deployed as a midfielder, to spend most of his time this campaign as an attacker 



Louis van Gaal says Marouane Fellaini will play as a striker for Manchester United this season.

Speaking to reportersahead of their Champions League play-off second leg clash with Club Brugge, Van Gaal said: "He can play
as a no.9 and a no.10, and he can also play as a no.6 and no.8.

"This year he wiil play more as a no.9 and no.10 rather than 6 and 8 because there we have other players."

Fellaini struggled in his first term at Old Trafford under David Moyes but bounced back to have a moderately successful 2014-15 season.

He has missed the first three league games of the current campiagn due to suspension, but snatched a crucial late goal in the first leg with Brugge at Old Trafford to give United a key 3-1 lead.

And the 27-year-old Belgian says he has no quarms about stepping in among the forward line.

"In the past I have played no.9 and no.10. I have to help the team. I can play there," he insisted.

"It's not important where I play, the most important thing is to win the game. Of course it's different but I enjoy all the positions I can play in."

And he added that he is looking forward to backing up his improvement last term with another season of key contributions.

"Everyone knows my first season was difficult, but now it's in the past. I look forward," he added.

"Last season I did quite well and I want to continue. I know my team-mates, the manager and his philosophy. I am looking to do well and score goals."

United take a two-goal lead to the Jan Breydelstadion on Wednesday, but Van Gaal insists his players cannot get ahead of themselves and agreed that this represents their biggest game of the season.

"It was our aim to participate in the Champions League. We are still not there yet, it's very important," he added.

"We have to play the game, at the end you have to have scored one goal more than the opponent. They have beaten Greek opponents [Panathinaikos] 3-0, they are capable of doing that with the suppoot of their fans." [GOAL]

Will Fellaini make the good striker Manchester United need?

No comments:

Post a Comment